RAW ART

RAW ART
reading & writing with art

October 14, 2011

Sock Monkey's Travel the USA

Sock Monkey's Travel the USA

I loved the adorable sock monkey's that I have seen so many art teachers do with their students and I wanted to try something similar with a writing piece and story.  I found the book Monkey and Me by Emily Gravett that is a great for younger students with its repeated patterning and predictions of what animals will they meet next.  It also has adorable illustrations.
So I read the book along with my kindergarten - 2nd graders and then we created our monkeys.  The next piece was the writing piece.  We talked about what if we took our monkey's on a trip with us around the USA.  We looked at a map of the states and they gave a million different stories about places they had traveled.  Then they created a "postcard" to attach with their artwork from a state they had previously visited.  They turned out really colorful and we have had many compliments!

No comments:

Post a Comment