RAW ART

RAW ART
reading & writing with art

October 20, 2011

Pumpkin Crazy with Paper Strips



PUMPKIN SCULPTURES:  My 3rd graders are in the process of creating pumpkin sculptures to hang from the ceiling out of strips of paper.  They are working in teams of four and it has been a great cooperative lesson for them.  We cut many many many 1" strips of orange paper and a few green and brown for stem and leaves.  I saw a post titled "Big Foot Cinderella" and for the life of me I can NOT remember who to credit it too...so I apologize now, but their art work was made of strips where they made Cinderella's head to hang from the ceiling.  This inspired me to try the pumpkins!  They used "art clamps" instead of calling them clothes pins which was a FABULOUS tip!  If anyone knows the person I owe credit too, please let me know.  I will publish photos when their pieces are finished.


WOVEN PUMPKINS:  2nd graders just finished their woven pumpkin pieces which they loved.  We began by painting designs and splatter painting an orange & yellow sheet of construction paper.  Next they cut out the pumpkin shape and the yellow strips to weave through.  They glued this on a blue square sheet of paper.then added the stem and leaf.  Our final piece was our Pumpkin Poem we had learned which they attached to their artwork and can say in their sleep.  Poem below:

Pumpkin poem

One day I found two pumpkin seeds.
I planted one and pulled the weeds.
It sprouted roots and a big, long vine.
A pumpkin grew; I called it mine.
The pumpkin was quite round and fat.
(I really am quite proud of that.)
But there is something I'll admit
That has me worried just a bit.
I ate the other seed, you see.
Now will it grow inside of me?

(I'm so relieved since I have found
That pumpkins only grow in the ground!)


No comments:

Post a Comment